We’re a Polytechnic!
By now you’ve probably heard that Humboldt State University is officially California State Polytechnic University, Humboldt! This is a historic moment for the Humboldt community, and it’s an incredible opportunity for our students as well.
First, what is a polytechnic? It’s an institution that embraces a “learn by doing” approach to education. Academic programming is broad in natural sciences, applied sciences, technology, and engineering. It has a strong liberal arts curriculum. It emphasizes hands-on learning, helping students apply what they learn to prepare graduates for that next step in life, whether that’s a career or graduate school.
In other words, it’s everything we already are; however, with a formal designation comes more resources to enhance your student’s educational experience, and a prestige that can help them in their career. No doubt you have more questions so please check out the FAQ on the polytechnic website for details.
Here’s what you need to know right now:
- Academics: Whether it’s Art or Social Work or Forestry, ALL programs count. We are not cutting majors—only adding them!
- Our name: Technically, we are California State Polytechnic University, Humboldt. But in most cases, we’ll refer to ourselves as either Cal Poly Humboldt or Humboldt.
- Diplomas: The Class of 2022 will be the first graduating class from Cal Poly Humboldt. Starting with Spring 2022 students, and for all current students moving forward, diplomas will be printed with California State Polytechnic University, Humboldt unless a graduate specifically request to have it printed with Humboldt State University.
- Gear: The Humboldt Bookstore on campus and
The Campus Store in Eureka have Cal Poly Humboldt merchandise in stock now and will continue building inventory. You can also buy gear online through the
Humboldt Athletics website.
- Tuition: Becoming a polytechnic will not increase tuition, which is determined by the California State University.
Here’s what you can expect to happen over the next several years:
Remember, we’re still the Humboldt that thousands of current students, their families, and alumni know and love, and what truly makes Humboldt special is you. We’re grateful to be with you on this incredible journey into Cal Poly Humboldt’s bold new future.
Join the Conversation
Social Network » hsufamilynetwork.org
Website » family.humboldt.edu
Latest News from Campus
The Plan for a Carbon-Free Cal Poly Humboldt
VIDEO: Helping Kelp Come Back in California
Renovations Underway on New University Children’s Center, Child Dev. Lab
Contactless Digital Payment for HSU Parking through New App
Improve Your Tomorrow: A Brotherhood of Support on Campus
Join the crowd of Humboldt parents and families who are making a difference to improve the student experience through gifts to the Parents & Family Fund. It is one of the most impactful ways to support your student and their peers at Humboldt!
Learn more about the Parents & Family Fund.